For example (and this has never happened, just a hypothetical situation), someone walks into my office, and tells me how they had a rollover accident once, and then procedes to say that I don't know what it's like.
Hmm, let's see - I'm on Fire/Rescue, so I've pulled people from rollovers, as well as treated their injuries and transported them to hospitals. I've also rolled a truck down a hill.
Yeah, I do know what it's like.
But in any conversation you have, something they say has to be about something great they've done, or something that's happening with them, or why their life is more important/miserable/lousy/better than someone else.
Sad.
In my "line of work", I see these people almost every day. Some might be because they're lonely, are unable to get out (maybe because they're a shut-in or something) and need someone to talk to.
I understand that. Woe to their family for not coming to visit more. There's a lot they can learn.
Some are because they can't listen to their own advice.
Really? You're going to talk about how bad someone is, yet you're doing the same thing?
Get help.
Some are because they really do think that their important, but don't have a clue who they're talking to.
Nevermind the fact that someone could have once worked with aircraft weapons, or been won top in his profession at one point in time, or rescued people from a flooded river, or caught wanted felons, or spoke multiple languages, or traveled the country, or made world-wide news, or crash-landed, or been invited to speak to a group of government officials, or...
Point is - we are all important, and we all have something to share. So stop the "I, I, I, I" and listen to the other person for a moment.
You just might learn something.