This past 24 hours has been a fun one. Really.
"Winter Storm Q" came through my area, and dropped it's snow in varying amounts around northeast Nebraska. To help out someone who lives out of the area but works in town, I had them staying in my spare room. The fellowship was great, and it was the least I could do.
I recently read about how many people in a city (I think Lincoln, but not sure) was asking the City folks if they could move snow from their driveways and such. These weren't people who just wanted the "freebee", but people with health concerns who had to make it to vital doctor visits or medical treatments.
Understandably, the City couldn't fill the requests, so many volunteers did the job. If I recall correctly, people from various churches, businesses, etc would get the requests forwarded to them, and they would go do the job to help out the citizens. So cool!
When I lived in Frontier County, we were hit with a big snowstorm, and people in Maywood and Curtis Nebraska did about the same thing. Guys with snowplows, tractors, snowblowers, etc would just show up and clear driveways. I think there was a "system" to it... businesses got cleared out; elderly and those with medical conditions were cleared; cops, firefighters, and EMTs were dug out; churches were opened up... and then it seemed to be a playtime - the guys would just plow for the sake of plowing, staying clear of the Street Depts and such for the sake of safety. People would call this a time of "the boys with their toys" going out to "play".
Now as I'm sitting here, I'm appreciative of the guy who opened up my driveway when we was clearing his folks' place out. Even though the church has someone who does it (because of the liability insurance, the church has to keep the walks and drives plowed), this means that I don't have to wait for the regular plow-guy, and it will help free him up sooner to take care of his other customers.
Admittedly, I'm not going to get all of the exercise I could have gotten by clearing the driveway myself, but it's done, and now I'm able to get out sooner to take care of other business.
But sadly, I've noticed around here that some people aren't as "open" to helping... people who have the ability to help out others will only take care of their business, and then say that it's too much work for them - while their sitting at home stewing because people are stingy. Or people who say "we can take care of this" and then suddenly become busy - sitting around telling stories at the cafe, wondering why other people aren't there (it's because the others are out plowing people out, out of the goodness of their heart).
My new Bishop has made it clear what it means to have a caring heart, to extend a love to one another, even if you don't like the person, and to help others in need.
Are we falling short? Do we need to take another look at ourselves and ask "why" we are too busy complaining, moaning, and griping, instead of lending a hand to those in need?
If you are able to do something - anything - do it. Help get someone's groceries to their home. Take out the trash for them. open up their driveway so they can make it to an important medical treatment.
And if you own a plow, tractor, whatever - call it "a good reason to have some fun".
Yes, gas prices are high, and time is precious... but in the end, what's better? Doing the good deed, or knowing that people know how stingy someone was?
The rewards are far greater than the hassle.
For me, my "reward" came in the form of a Russell Stover's candy - they knew it was my favorite.
And my bigger reward is on my heart.
Blessings!