Monday, November 25, 2013

The power of words

The last few months have been a roller coaster - fun and thriller, and a little scary at the corners.
I'm enrolled in two continuing education courses. Two. I really only need one at a time, but one goes through the second half of 2013 and first half of 2014, and the second goes for 18 months, meeting every three months.
I'd say "do the math", but I wouldn't know how to converse about the equations, so the only thing I can explain is that every pastor is suppose to do some sort of education every year, so I can say without any doubt that I'm getting me education.

The type of classes I'm taking seems to flow so much into circumstances around me right now. I've been ministering to people dealing with unique, odd, troubling, or difficult situations (well, duh), but some of the ministering is dealing with how others say or react to a person's issues.

So many times recently, the phase has come up "I told them so" or "I felt it was better if they..." or "I knew what was best for them".
Really? You knew what was best for someone else, who in many cases, is only an acquaintance to you?

Or people, especially in an age of mass misinformation, will put their own spin on a news article, and somehow make it equate to why a situation has turned out a certain way.
So the government is responsible for the extinction of the dinosaurs. Got it.

The point is that when someone needs a friend to be there for them, or a shoulder to lean on, or an ear to vent to, more often then not, they don't need any sort of "I told you so".