So as I climbed out of bed (ok, I'm not "that" refreshed... these old bones still need to be popped and twisted into shape each day) and let Dingo out, I made me toast & peanut butter, poured some coffee, and went to read the morning Facebook inputs.
This is when I had my "a-ha" moment.
After seeing that I am compared to Tom Selleck (if Tom Selleck had a "needs to be trimmed" beard, wore a buzz-cut, and is all dirty after a fire... but thank you very much - especially to my brother for finding that obscure magazine article.LOL), I read a post from a movie actress regarding some rumors as well as some other posts about some people's view of sin.
Welcome to Holy Saturday?
I thought back to last night, as I gave the Message for my churches' Good Friday Service, I brought up how we should listen to the voices in our scripture - Isaiah 52:13-53:12, Psalm 22, and John 18-19. The voices of confusion, grief, sin, hate, and of love.
In listening to those voices, I heard broken hearts, hurt feelings, distrust, and unconditional love. I reading those words, I found myself relating to the same voices - broken, hurt, distrust, and love.
I also found myself feeling "emotions". You know, a feeling of sadness, maybe to the point of tears or weeping.
I say it like that because over the years as a pastor, I've worked on covering my feelings, or hiding emotions. I've worked to "stay strong" during the roughest conflicts and most heartbreaking funerals. I've tried to be the boulder in times of grief and pain. I've put up a wall to keep my real feelings from pouring out.
And by putting up that wall, I've also trapped a lot of my own feelings inside.
And while seeing the hymn "Were You There" last night, I felt a tear on my face (reference the Grinch)
After reading the rumors posts and sins posts this morning, I've realized that I'm not so much upset at things as I am sad. I'm sad that for all of the sins that some people like to point out in the Bible on a moments notice, they fail to read the Greatest Commandment. For all of the rumors that some people spread about someone else's faults, they forget that spreading rumors and gossiping is also a sin. For the people who can mention where a particular sin is listed in the Bible, they can't count that number of times other sins are listed (usually multiple more times).
Regardless of what another person's religious views are, it can't be denied that love conquers all. Whether a person is liberal or conservative, love trumps all. Whether a person is one way or another, love rules.
Today is a day to meditate on the ultimate love shown for us, the pain and anguish that was given for us because of our narrow ways. Today is a day of reflection and preparation as we consider the trials and tribulation that was endured for us. Today is a day to consider what tomorrow means.
I hope and pray that we all can knock down our proverbial walls and see that, in some form or fashion.