I don't mention these things to brag - I'm saying that I've worked for 35 years to do something that is about as dear to my heart as pastoring is... giving to help or assist others.
One things I've learned in my years is that the best teams get things done when everyone on the team, from the highest in command to the newest rookie, work as one unit, recognizing the gifts and talents and ideas of everyone, and when the command knows the limitation of everyone, especially themselves.
When people work as one, things can run like a well-oiled machine. When someone ignores the links of the chain (bottom and top) time, money, and resources become stretched and can (and many times will) break.
Sure, I understand that people want to help, and it can be frustrating when one is waiting for information to be passed along, but as with just about every emergency, a team cannot go in until they know what's going on. A dispatcher gets as much information before rolling the crews. A hazardous material response team won't go into an area until they have all the details - including the temperature, wind direction & speed, and sometimes humidity and water level. You might even take note that the haz-mat team won't go into certain areas until they stop, get all of the information, suit up for the necessary conditions, and then team-up again.
Over the past few years, I've had the opportunity to be part of different emergency groups to provide assistance, but I also have come to realize that as the responder rule goes - You have to take care of yourself first before you can care for others - I have to reevaluate my roles. Positions I've held as caused me to look again and command structures as well as the ability of others to listen and assist instead of "trying to be in charge".
As I turn a new chapter in my life - taking a new pastoral appointment and moving to a somewhat new region, it's time to do what *I* have to do. I know my abilities and limitations, and I know when to stay out of danger. So it's time to step back from the fire.