Friday, August 1, 2014

Friends care.

A few years ago I attended a picnic. While getting the tour of the great food that was laid out, a dear friend of mine pointed out the burgers and brats and dogs and potato salads and cakes and cookies, and "the vegetables are over there, Kevin".
This was at a time when I was in a serious weight-loss mode. I was dropping a couple of pounds a week and felt great, but I did chuckle at the comment; almost like "here's the real food, and Kevin can graze over there".
But in all seriousness, her comment made me feel good. She recognized the fact that I was limiting what and how much I ate, and wanted to make sure that I was enjoying the party as much as everyone else. She knew that I was watching what I ate and made sure to point out those options to me, not making me feel like I had to try every form of dessert that was there.
Earlier today I got a note from another friend, asking how I was doing. I was given the opportunity to vent whatever I needed to vent as well as having a simple chat. This person and her husband knew some things that had happened in my recent past, and graciously invited me to "sound off" if something was wrong. Fortunately there wasn't anything wrong (other than a little health concern I'm taking care of already).
Even though I was doing ok when I got the note, it felt nice to me that someone was thinking of me and was concerned. Sure, lots of people think of others all the time, and it's always nice when someone is thinking of us, but for someone to say "How are you doing" and really mean it meant a lot.

In our world of rush rush rush and money money money, it's nice to know that there are still some folks who put aside their own time to see to others - showing a caring heart to someone and anyone.

My brother just posted (whether he came up with it or someone else did, I don't know) a saying... "The most amazing things that can happen to human beings will happen to you if you just lower your expectations."
What would happen if we lowered our expectations, looking for nothing more than what someone else can give and needs to give? What would happened if we humbled ourselves, not to lower our standards, but to lower our expectations of things and others?
What is we simply "cared"?