Monday, September 30, 2013

The good ole days

I just spent a few days with my brother. We spent our time looking at old cars, remembering what it was like to drive or ride in certain makes or models. We also drove a couple of hours so my brother could do his #12 on his 48 state run tour, which turned out to be his coldest. I also signed up for a one mile walk, and beat my record pace time. Returning, we stopped at the Ice Cream Capital of the World, Le Mars, Iowa, and among other things, stopped at the Freking Law Office (yeah, that's really it's name). We also watch a OSU game and a couple of Pro Football games on TV. On top of all of that, we got to spend a lot of time visiting.

In the 72 or so hours, I learned to laugh and remember again. I learned to enjoy things that seemed to be forgotten by the rush of my "everyday life". I recalled what it was like to "have fun", even if, as I said, "I rode 2 hours to walk a mile in the rain, and all I got was a t-shirt (and it was a blast!)"

Sure, I miss my brother already, but I'm already looking at my calendar for vacation plans to Ohio to see family and old friends. I'm also looking more at my walking schedule, working at getting my leg back in shape, with a goal of entering a Run at "some point".

It's those times in life when you can step back and not take things so seriously... laughing at those comments you or someone else makes (like someone having two broken arms - as opposed to three? or "you're gonna shake your what"?! (inside joke)).

So go laugh, smile, and have a good day.