Thursday, September 5, 2013

A battle of wits with an unarmed man


I’ve attempted four times to write something, only to roll my eyes at myself, shake my head, or make that sound that sounds like a chipmunk just got hugged too hard.
 
Maybe it’s because I’m surprised at humanity. But given my ‘occupation’ and route through life, I’ve seen a lot. So I can’t really be too surprised.
Maybe it’s because I’ve confused why some people do what they do. But seeing how they go on and on about this, that, or the other via social media, socializing, or any other form of gathering, I just chalk it up to different things. So I can’t be too confused.
Maybe it’s because I don’t remember this sort of behavior when I was growing up. Some old high school friends have told me things that happened that I never knew about, and that did catch me off guard. But these things are happening right in the open for the world to see. So it’s not really a shock.

The only thing I can come up with is that some people think that somewhere in this vast universe, someone owes them something. Maybe because they didn’t have enough as a kid. Or maybe because they had too much. Or maybe because they didn’t understand the meaning of “get all of the facts”. Or maybe no one taught them how to ask a question. Or maybe they think they already have the answers and no one can tell them different. Or maybe they think that no one has the answers and everything is a waste of time.

But then there is that moment when someone comes along and takes that person and puts them in their place. Maybe in a subtle way, maybe direct and blunt. It’s like a bully trying to show up on a playground with a big stick, and the other kid shows up with 20 kids, all with bigger sticks.

Instead of trying to bring your big stick to the playground, how about leaving it at home and seeing how much fun and interesting it could be to just have a good time and learn something from the others?

Someone always has a bigger stick.