Thursday, February 13, 2014

A different kind of Systems Theory


The body is a complex system, with each little part being affected by other little parts. What a person sees, smells, tastes, touches, or hears can set off a series of events inside their body that can make them feel good or bad.

But you probably already knew that.

And people react in different ways to the same things. You might like a certain food that I won't like, or I might jump at certain sounds while others won't flinch.

Valentine's Day is a good example. Some people will always see it as the sweet, romantic time of the year to exchange candy, cards, and flowers. While I might see that as well, I also have a ten year old memory of a house fire that killed two firefighters.

Some people might say "don't let things get to you", but they don't know how much has built up on a person's nerves already. Would it be ok if I said "have another bite of oatmeal" without giving any concern for how much oatmeal has already been eaten?

I'm not trying to be a downer - nothing like that. I'm saying that there is a reality that some people don't see or choose not to see. There is a part of people that can be easily overlooked until it's too late. There is a speck, or a splatter, of something going on with some people that even the most observant of folks might not see.

While I'm working on my walking habit, striving for the benefits to release the stress of life through my shoes or by enjoying the sights, as well as reaping the physical benefits from it, I hope to work on a spiritual side. I'm not quite sure how to do this yet, other than my personal one-on-one chats with God as I round the corners or dodge a stray cat, but I'm sure I'll find many ways. I'm not to a point to wait too much longer. My health depends on it. Emotionally, I have to move away from the stressors in my world to refocus my energy. Mentally, I have to readjust my brain to clear my head. Spiritually, I have to get my time with God that I don't get otherwise. Physically, I have to continue working on getting in better shape and get my body untwisted.
Four different aspects, but all one system. If one part is failing, all the parts fail.
Like trimming the table legs, each one, a little at a time.

And right now, the table is really lopsided, and getting lower.

My goal is to "get it together" - literally. But in a good, healthy way.
With God's help. By God's grace.