Saturday, August 11, 2012

One down, one to go

I'm down to my final week for Course of Study. To put it in the grand scheme, the last of week of the last of 20 classes. The anxiety is growing high for four of us here (those who are graduating at the end of the week). So In one class where all four of us are in, either there is deadly silence or extreme laughter to break the tension. The one Instructor has learned to choose the words of "might, may, and probably" graduate very carefully (due to the rest of the class not being graduating students).

Many of the students here serve Churches within driving distance, and this school allows students to go home on weekends. So many people have left, but the few who are still around decided to go to a local restaurant for breakfast this morning. I joined them, figuring a different social setting with my schoolmates would be relaxing. As fun as it was, though, I could help but think of the work that was waiting for me back in my dorm room, like a soft, gentle voice, calling "come do your homework", with an occasional shriek thrown in to make sure that my spine was intact.

Tomorrow is a Sabbath, at least for the first half. Nothing is stopping me from that. Rarely do I get a chance to worship "on the other side of the rail", so I'm going to meet up with my brother near here and go with him to his church and probably grab a bite afterwards.

In the meanwhile, someone asked me what I was going to do after I graduate. Other than "passing out", I will be spending some serious time discerning that question. I still want to do pastoral ministry, but what about a speciality from that?
I wonder if this is what a doctor who goes back to school to be something like a neurologist or something wonders about...
But for now, I have to concentrate on this week - the here and now (literally).

I'll be getting back to work, writing a dozen essays on everything from the meaning of sin to different types of liberation theology to what it is that Christians may hope for....
Seems simple enough, but the class thought the same thing about last week's assignments. o_O

If I start counting the number of hours before class and you find me rocking in my chair, staring into space with drool coming out of the corner of my mouth, call for help. LOL