Today is a Monday. Typically my day off for the time being. A time for me to rest, relax, rejuvenate, get right with God, enjoy some "me time"... you know.
The last couple of Mondays have turned into workdays - something that is all too common as a pastor's life. One minute we think we're just going to drop something off, and the next we're in the Office counseling someone. Or when a "just going to swing by" turns into a multiple-visit day, with the rest of the week loaded with other visits, administrative duties, Worship Service preparations, marital counseling appointments, meetings, emergency hospital calls, Sermon studying and writing, etc. Oh, and did I mention that this time of the year it is also Charge Conference time, which adds another element into the mix? And let's not forget my favorite right now - "What am I'm going to wear?" - the trendy question that I have to ask myself because my healthier living is causing me to shrink out of my clothes! (yeah, I actually am celebrating that one, but it does add a different chunk of "ugh" to my days)
Of course, I love what I do. It is what I can say that I'm called to do. But as Mother Teresa said "I know God won't give me anything I can't handle. I just wish he didn't trust me so much."
With that being said, I decided to get out of town. That's right, I ran away. I put my stuff in my handkerchief, tied it around a stick, and my trusty dog, Dingo, and I trotted into the sunset.
One of the first things that I found amazing was what I saw. As I crested a hill, there, in the valley, was a forest of trees that had been painted by God's touch of autumn colors - the reds, golds, yellows. - all side by some like a mosaic maze. It was breathtaking!
Later on, I noticed some clouds forming in the distance, and I could see the rain that was dropping from the sky in the horizon. Seeing something like that might not seem like much, but for an area as dependent on rain as Northern Nebraska is right now, it was a site for sore eyes. But also to see this so clearly was like God was saying "watch what I can do... can anyone top this? This gave me the assurance that no matter what problem I may encounter, nothing is bigger than what God can do.
Last night after I stopped, I went to get my bags, and noticed that some sprinkles had surprised the locals. As I walked outside, I commented "It's raining", and someone said "nah, it stopped". At that point, I could hear the drops, no matter how light or subtle they were, hit the trees that we were under at the time. As we were walking out from the trees, the other person said "...I can't even feel anything", yet I could still hear it in the nearby trees. I told the person to wait for it, and then the drops came, light and cool, like a reminder that God was sitting over us saying "told you so". The fun part was when the other person was surprised. I have to admit that I always get a chuckle from people's expressions.
Last Christmas, my brother wrote about spending time with family and respecting the Holidays. There was also a little piece in there about how I couldn't be with family because my 'job' is one where I 'work' on Holidays - Christmas, Easter, big times of the year for me. I call it my "occupational hazard".
But no matter what our jobs, occupations, callings, or paid hobbies are, how are we spending time for ourselves? How are we stopping to look around and enjoy nature, or have fun with the family, or take it a show and dinner, or run away to take a well-needed break? How often do we stop and listen to the wind rustling the leaves in the trees, or the birds singing, or the cars go by, or the children laughing? How often do we stop and realize that it's a new month, a new season, a new day?
My brother participated in a memorial run in New York City yesterday that took him on the same route that a firefighter ran, in full gear, to get to the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. There was no special prizes or medals or ribbons. This was a fundraising event, and people from all over came to take part. Apparently, so many people come that the run becomes more of a jog or walk at point because the route goes through a tunnel, and you can only for so many people into the tunnel at one time.
The point is that other firefighters also show up for this run, and participate in full turnout gear, which can weigh 40-60 pounds. It also run past the river where boats are there to cheer the runner along, including Fire Boats with the water cannons shooting up in the air.
As my brother was running, or wait, or whatever, he took the time to photograph those things - the Fire Boat honoring the runners with the water cannons. The Trade Center Memorial, and the crowds that had gathered.
He didn't go to run to beat a particular time. He didn't go to win a race. He didn't go to try to beat other runners. He went to honor someone, and take in the sights and sounds of the day.
What if we did the same? What if we found that moment that means that much to us, and took it all in? What if we stopped, looked, and listened to what is really around us, and stopped griping about our coworkers, our jobs, or employers or employees? What if we stopped, looked, and listened to the special things that someone has to offer, instead of cutting them off at the knees? What if we stopped, looked, and listened to what is right in front of us?
Can we see the forest through the trees?
What has God put in front of you?