Monday, October 29, 2012

Who cares for the caregivers?

It has been a bittersweet 48 hours.
I have to admit that there is nothing more unsettling than seeing a family member calling late in the evening. I surprised myself in how fast I knew what time it was for them (different time zone). Sure, it's just add or subtract hours, but considering that it was already late for me, it was much later for them. High anxiety.
Then the news of my dad's surgery. Sure, it was simple, easy, not a big deal... call it what you want, but maybe I know too much with a wife as a Nurse Manager, and me as an EMT, dealing with a variety of situations over the years, and as a Pastor, seeing all sorts of things in the countless hospital and home visits I've done in the eight and a half years.
On top of all of that, I know that my sister (who had made the call) has her own things going on in her own family, so I'm worrying about her, as well as my mom, of course, and then in between getting information from my sister, I'm comfortable in knowing that my one brother is nearby and is helping as well (I have another brother, but we can't get into that.)

There has been some light in all of this. Thank God for my one brother and sister for being there for mom and dad! Thank God that dad's surgery was somewhat simple, minus a couple of situations that came up, considering my dad's previous medical history and such. Thank God that this was all happening now, as opposed to later in the week when the pieces of Hurricane Sandy will make its way across Ohio, making things difficult for everyone there. Thank God for many things that I can't even think of right now.

But as I sit back and reflect, I also have to give thanks for some folks who called me to extend their thoughts, comforted me when they saw some stress in my face, who sent well-wishes across email and social media, and all other sorts of ways.
I am also thinking of how in the past few weeks, I've been drained inside with so much going on in my life, and how if it wasn't for a few people, I wouldn't know which way would be up. (LOL)

So it raises the question - Who cares for the caregivers? Who ministers to the ministers? Who gives relief to the relief workers?
I have people who I'm suppose to be able to turn to, but in all fairness, they have many things going on as well. The people who I am suppose to be able to turn to aren't always there. Not that they don't want to be (or at least I'm hoping that is the case!), but that they also have so much else going on also. Just like if I would have a call to visit someone who is sick, and then get another call at about the same time, what could I do? I can't be two places at once. Nor can the people that I can turn to.

So often, people think that the caregivers - doctors, nurses, preachers, teachers, ministers, respite workers, police officers, etc - have people to lean on. Usually, that's the case. But sometimes, the resources are stretched thin (for example, in a case like mine, someone I might call may be tied up in a large meeting, or running the large meeting, or is ill, or is taking care of some other family, etc).

We all have to be aware of the need to be there for others... not always as a counselor or something like that, but with a note or something, reminding others to stay strong, keep the course, whatever.
I know that it has helped me, and I'm sure it can make a difference for others.

For some who would say something like that is all "a Pastor's job", then I'll leave you with this thought...
The other night, I got a call about someone who is in need of some sacramental counseling and assistance. When talking to the person who was setting things up (just a member of the church, nothing "special, other than they were doing a great job at ministering and evangelism!), the comment to me was "I figured you would be going to see your dad".
I appreciated that statement - it meant that they cared enough to know that I might be gone for my family. (But as my family is over 900 miles away, I do want to be there, but with the approaching storm plus distance, I'm depending on my one brother and sister - again, thank you).
Now, if I had left to go see my dad, whether he was closer, or I started for a longer journey, who would take care of this person in need? Who would comfort them and guide them until my coverage could make contact?

Thanks be to God that this church member was there for this person and their family.

Let's all remember that the caregivers need care too, especially with the storms brewing in the eastern part of the country.
Send notes, prayers, etc.

Give care, love, and assistance, as God has blessed us.