This evening, I saw an incredible act that left me nearly speechless.
I recently wrote about how I had made contact with someone who was needing information and such about the sacraments in my church, as well as some other things. It was a moving conversation in many ways because of everything this family was going through, the person who did a great job at hospitality, welcoming, inviting, and evangelism, and the feeling of the Spirit working through me.
I got a chance to meet "some" of this family as the parents were taking the little one Trick-or-Treating.
The reason I only met "some" was because the oldest brother, 13 or 14 years old, was staying at home to pass out candy so that the mom and dad could take the little brothers out.
Did you catch that? ==> the teenager stayed home so that the little brothers could have a good time.
How we behave is picked up by the people who teach us, raise us, mentor us, guide us, etc. This family must be really strong to be able to instill a sense of loving, caring, responsible action within the teenage son so that the little brothers could have fun, hopefully learning the same responsibility as they grow older.
How do we teach responsibility to others? How do we act to one another? How do we speak? How do we behave?
Young and old alike.
Let's look in the mirror so that people don't have to hold the mirror in front of our faces for us.
(And as I'm reading in a book right now, if you're considering grabbing a mirror to hold it up to someone, you better check yourself - this usually means that you're got some serious issues yourself)
You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
Romans 2:1 (NIV)