Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Not just your average week

In my last blog, I talked about my "fun" as a volunteer firefighter.
Maybe I spoke too soon.

Actually, I do have "fun", in a weird way.

There was our monthly fire training and meeting on this past Monday night. Not a big deal, except that earlier in the day, I put my liner back into my turnout gear.
(It was removed so that I could wear it easier due to my "larger" size, plus the summer heat, but now that I've lost all these pounds and inches, I thought I could fit just fine)
So when we're getting ready to roll out in the fire trucks to do "re-lay" some hoses, I jumped into my gear to find that it fit me much better then I thought. Bonus!
After training, however, I was sore from some joints and muscles that I forgot I had. Ouch!

And then on Tuesday, we were called out to a "porch fire". When I started for the fire station, the first thing in my mind was "the election polling place is next door - lots of people walking around, limited parking for us firefighters to be rolling in, etc".
When we got there, suited up, and jumped into the truck and rolled out the door, we could see the smoke in the sky... had to be more than a "porch". When we got there, the entire side of the house in in flames, as well as the porch. Yikes!
Thank goodness the only injuries was to the mom who got her child out somehow with only some cuts to her leg, and the main damage was to the outside, so anything inside it pretty much ok.
When we got back to the fire station about an hour later, it seemed as if *everyone* had something to do... only a few guys hung around to get all of the equipment put back together. Sheesh. So now there is a Chief and Asst Chief that isn't too happy, as well as a couple of people who had to hang around and do all the work.

Now I'm winding down, wiped out because of that as well as the election propaganda. I missed the timing of the Pierce HS football playoff game (but they won, so I can catch them Tuesday night), and I have about 9 or 10 letters to mail off in the morning, and about half a dozen calls to make.
Just a simple day, followed by a meeting in the evening.

I'm so tired.
So very tired.
So now I will let me body fall asleepppppppppppppppppppp