Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Is it that I'm getting old, or that I'm a grandpa?

Today started with an eye doctor's appointment. My first thought was "I would like to have contacts"...
I considered this because the glasses I have now are a hassle... if I have to go on a fire call, that means leaving the glasses behind, and hoping that  my eyes adjust enough to whatever I need to do at on scene - not always handy. It also means having to protect my glasses when going in and out of buildings and such, and the hassles of cleaning then each time - not always good when I'm running from one church service to another (which I have zero time to spare). Also, I found that when doing a baptism, and having the "great" anti-glare that my last eye doctor told me "won't smear like the older kind", I can't let the baby reach for my face, or I'm blinded in one eye for the rest of the Service.

There are lots of other reasons, but through it all, I did go get checked, and the doctor I went to this time loves a challenge, and apparently, one of my eyes is bad to make for a challenge, but he said that he could order the contacts for me to try.
Then the fun part...
A procedure that the doctor does measure the "peaks and valleys" of the cornea of the eye so he can pick the best contact lens for me. This test also detected an issue in my eyes.
The "good side" is that I 'have' to wear contact now. LOL

So now, I have to remember that I can't rub my eyes. Ever.
Sure, I might rub them accidentally or something, but I have to get out of the habit of rubbing them if they're tired or irritated.
... and I just wanted to change my appearance a little and make life a little easier. Darn it!!

Then I was trying to plan my Thanksgiving holiday. Never easy with family in different parts of the country. I thought for a while that I would be doing the "cornish hen/ stove top stuffing/ green beans by myself", but looks like I might see my granddaughter at some point.

And then as I sat down to write this, I was reading my brother blogs as he wrote of some memories. One that he reminded me of was making turkeys out of apples, marshmallows, and toothpicks. (maybe some raisins as well...)
So as I'm trying to plan out a busy Wednesday, I need to put one more thing on my "to do" list... make sure to have (or get my son & daughter-in-law to get) the items needed to make "edible turkeys"

When the doctor first explained my eye issue, I wasn't sure what to think... but the first thing was "dang it, I'm only 48 - but wait, I AM 48, and a grandpa - I'm old!" But as the doctor explained that the condition occurs in a persons 20s and 30s (I've probably had it for a while, but it's just never been checked before), I am more ready to think "the 20s and 30s have nothing on me!" LOL

I am old, and I'm a grandpa. And because of that, I'm going to teach my granddaughter some of the things that I learned when I was younger.

Old isn't about "over the hill, can't do anything"...
Shoot! "Over the hill" just means that you get to pick up speed for the fun!

So look out Liberty - Grandpa's gonna show you some fun stuff!
(And thanks to my brother for reminding me)