Monday, January 21, 2013

Good service goes a long way. Bad service goes farther.

I recently stayed at the Kearney, Nebraska Wingate Inn for a Conference. While I was there, the service was great, and even after I left and forgot some items in my room, the service was spectacular... they had put the items in box and shipped it to me (which I have to pay for, but it was my fault that I forgot the stuff). They also had the box to me within a few days. Nice!
While I at the Conference, our Center had such great service - everything from wifi connection to seating to finding a restroom. Awesome!

So now when I want to "get away from it all", any guess where one of my first choices would be?

In contrast, I'm sitting here waiting for my contact lenses that were ordered nearly a month ago. Because I have an odd eye, I have to wait a little longer, or so the story goes. Yet if I was to order from the 800Contact company, the price would have been nearly the same, and they were in stock.
I could understand certain issues, but the attitude of the people that work at the clinic leaves a lot to be desired.
Even tossing up a hand when asking "what" when they were waiting on me one day. =/

When people give good service, it needs to be mentioned. The positives need to be brought up, and those who do something nice, even if it's their job, need the praise and affirmation.
At the same time, when something isn't right, it helps if something positive can be brought up, but also to nicely bring up to the proper people - maybe to the person who may have done something wrong, for they may not have realized it - that something isn't right. After all, people shouldn't be looking to ruin a business, and by not saying something, you're just as guilty of hurting a business... if they don't know there is a problem, they can't correct it.

Always say something positive. You can be part of the problem, or you can be part of the solution. Or you can make someone's day =)