Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Old age is fun? (Revised)

It was pointed out to me that I'm already a GRANDPA.
This flashes so many images in my head.

First, the image of the conversation that this came up. It was probably one of the most eye-opening conversation I've had. It has been a basis for some of the current learning I'm doing, as well as how I teach.

Second is the fact that I'm a grandpa for the second time now, so along with Paulette's, that make FIVE grandchildren or step-grandchildren.
I remember once counting the pictures of all of my cousins on the wall of my paternal grandparents' living room once. I'm the oldest of the 16 grandchildren they had. And now, here I am, realizing that I'm up to FIVE grandkids. Now, I'm looking for a comb to keep next to my chair (a memory I have of my one grandpa).
>> edit note - I originally thought I was the oldest of 27 - that's what I get for typing my Blog in the later hours (old guys should get to bed at earlier hours) and that I can't remember much (another sign of old age?) =/
Thanks to my brother for catching this - at least we figured that "maybe" I was counting Grandma & Grandpa's children and spouses.


Third, I'm going to be seeing my newborn granddaughter soon. In the time there, I'll be taking my other granddaughter out for lunch or shopping or something. It's something we've sort of started a habit of doing - our pizza date. But each time, my older granddaughter is more independent... she can open her own box, or push the cart, or get her drink. Time flies, and she's growing up fast.

Then, all of these things come "crashing" in on me when I see my eye doctor or medical doctor. This body part is old. That section of my body is worn. But I'm only 48...
But I'm a Grandpa! Stuff happens, and being a grandpa makes everything worth it!

Or when I interact with other kids, whether at my churches or in the communities I serve or just walking through a shopping mall - there seems to be a different sense of "pride"...  I'm a grandpa, and I can give a child a look and make them smile, or reassure them that they're not in charge, but the parents are, or just realizing how enjoyable life can be when watching a little kid laugh.

Yeah, I'm getting old. The years have been good to me, and some years weren't as good as others, thanks to all of the food I ate, but in my new life, I'm enjoying getting older. It's that "circle of life", and now I can play with my grandchildren, spoiling the living heck out of them, and send them back home with all sorts of stories of what their parents did (or maybe I'll use that one as a "trump card" LOL)
But yeah, this is fun. It's fun to be where I am. It's fun to think back to all that I've been through. It's fun to look ahead, wondering what tomorrow might bring.
And yes, it's scary as well. But I'm also the protective grandpa - the one that has the pictures of my granddaughter cuddled close to me - for these are the pictures that I will show any young gents who have an interest later in life. I'll just pull out the pictures, point to how I've got my granddaughter tucked close to me, and remind them that the arm that's holding the child is the same arm that can do serious damage.
Nope - not threatening anyone. Just making sure nothing happens along the way (insert evil laughter here)

Yeah... If being a grandpa means being old, then look out world, because I'm gonna enjoy the ride!