Thursday, August 22, 2013

Look inside or fall on the outside


It has been a while since my last blog. A long while. A very long while, considering when I started this a couple of years ago, it was a challenge to be my “Wesley-like” and keep up with the discipline of journaling.
It is what it is.
Just because I haven’t kept up doesn’t mean that nothing has happened. Oh, trust me, as the saying goes, “life is what you make it”, and I’ve got enough to feed an army!

I’ve started reading “Generation to Generation” by Edwin Friedman. It’s for an 18-month course that I’m taking that is dealing specifically with dealing with Family Systems Theory. It will probably be one of the best courses I’ll ever take.

Something that has been brought up in Friedman’s book as well as the course is how people become excited or anxious in particular situations, and when they do, it causes other people to become just as excited in many different ways. I’ve seen this SO MUCH on social media. Things like the recent news in Georgia of a young man who went into a school intending not to hurt any students or staff. Or the different drills around the country of how to deal with particular situations.

Other situations poke their head up in similar situations… “my problems are bigger than yours”, or “why does so-and-so have to keep everything private”, or “this is what happened with me, so this is how it’s going to happen to you”, or how someone has no concept about a person’s job, but will dictate how that person needs to do their job.

I recently did an experiment with a group of people where I sat in a room and said nothing. Absolutely nothing. For some of you, this may seem impossible, and maybe even shocking, but really, I did it – said nothing. Doing so, there was a noticeable rise in the anxiety level because a certain group of people (let’s say, um, the “test subjects”), expected a reaction and didn’t get any. The funny part was when I was later approached and asked if there was a problem because all I did was smile the entire time.

Did I have a problem because I was smiling? That will be a chapter in my book someday.
 

The point is – sometimes our true happiness isn’t in the issues around us, but in the happiness within us.
If we worry about ourselves instead of trying to stand on a pedestal, our insides will feel much nicer.
(and the higher you try to put yourself on a pedestal, the harder you’ll fall when someone easily knocks you down)