Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The darkness of death or the light of life?

As I mentioned in my previous post and in a few Facebook comments, I've spent the past few days learning a lot not so much through the continuing education classes I'm in (although I am learning a lot in those), but from my friends. I would say colleagues, but I can also call these people friends, and I would be remiss if I didn't.

One of the conversations we had was how we dealt with funerals or memorial services. If I understood correctly, another pastor felt that there was too much emphasis on talking about the person and not about the resurrection of Christ. Some might separate the two topics as Message and Eulogy.

When I looked up the definition of "funeral", the word "ceremony" kept coming up, as well as a time of remembering a person.
So I took the hint of a couple of my friends as well as the words I say each time - that we are there to "celebrate the life" of a person. But I also preach the gospel, meaning the Good News, of Jesus Christ, and how he died and rose again to take the sting of death away. For that, we have the promise of hope.

I used those words as I met with a family earlier today, and something happened - something that I don't think has ever quite happened in my 9+ years of pastoral ministry. Call it the Holy Spirit.
When I explained the Service and purpose of the Service, the family began to weep, remembering their loved one, but then opened up more than I have ever seen, and we had a grand time talking about their fun and fond memories.

We mourn loss - even pastors mourn. But we also celebrate the life. And we celebrate the hope and grace given to us - a gift, given to each and every one of us, without a price.

Celebrate.