As a pastor, I try to model certain behaviors, such as a Lenten discipline. I have to admit that I haven't figured out what discipline, though, to take on for Lent.
Until now.
I just came to a realization of something that has haunted me for days and years. Something that has been inside of me for months and decades. It has been something that I've had to swallow for so long that I've been forced to be silent.
Until now.
For those who don't know me, I'm not a small-framed person. I'm also not one that is too soft spoken at times. Sure, I can be as polite as I need to be, but my size and my tone has scared some people. And I'm going to change that. Now that I can pinpoint the cause and effect of what has been eating me up for so long, and allowing me to be ill recently, I can now start towards a "completion" of what needs to be.
So even though this realization is painful right now, it's also nice to know that I have a focus - a standard - to measure my life and how to proceed.
Sometimes the best start does begin with a pain, a "choking feeling", like getting that pill down, but eventually, "all shall be well".
May you all find your Lenten disciplines as well.