Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. For me, it's much different than when I was growing up.
As a kid, Christmas Eve meant going to church, maybe taking part in a Christmas program, and listening to the radio in my room as I went to sleep, listening to reports about where Santa was being tracked by NORAD. If you've watched my Facebook page, you've seen where I have posted some of their updates (now that we're in the age of computers, we don't have to depend on the radio like we used to - we can go to NORAD's website and get updates as they track Santa in real-time. NORAD even has some fun games to play, that I sometimes wish they could keep active all-year-round. Oh well.
But now that I'm a Pastor, Christmas Eve and Christmas take on a different meaning. It's not the waiting and waking up with anticipation - it's the "are the candles ready", "are the bulletins set", "are all of the doors unlocked", and "did we get that clogged toilet fixed".
I once listened to a speaker, Terry Teykl, talk to both clergy and laity. One thing he talked about is how clergy don't really "worship" as they should during Services. It's because of those silly little things that some people take for granted or never think of... One person might make a comment, but what about when 3 or 4 or 7 or 8 do? Ugh.
So I'm probably very "guilty" of "not worshiping". The reason is because of those "behind the scenes" things that people don't ever know about.
So this year, after my Christmas Eve Services, I'm going to go to a colleague's church so that I can worship. I may even fellowship at another church on Christmas Day after my Services where most people won't know me, and then I can go as a "regular" person and not "a Pastor".
(For some of you, I understand that it probably doesn't make a difference. But for others, it does - but that's another story)
So as I go to get my clothes ready for tomorrow, wherever or however you worship, say a silent prayer for your minister/priest/pastor/clergy.
And as you worship in whatever way you do, may your hearts be filled with the joy and peace of the Holiday Season!