Monday, December 19, 2011

Tis the Season to get OLD - Thanks Liberty!

My daughter-in-law posted on Facebook about my granddaughter (actually, her daughter - same difference), being a year and a half old today. I replied, joking that I thought that she was 18 months old. All of this after they had their Christmas pictures done the other day.

The photographer did a great job with getting my granddaughter to pose. Liberty has a cute smile, but she is an ornery one. She'll give ya a great smile, but on her time. She's always seemed to be like this. She'll smile, giggle, play, run around and shout, but as soon as the cameras come out, then it's straight-faced, serious, stone cold glares.
And to think that people think that I don't smile. HA!

Looking at these few pictures made me look back to pictures that I took right after she was born, and then just over a year ago when we went to a Petting Zoo.

Years go by, and we often lose track and what was when and who was where, but when it comes to children, it's amazing how fast we can lost track...they do grow up so fast. But the memories are so great. The silly moments, the loving moments, the caring moments. Maybe that's why the movie A Christmas Story is so popular - there is some part of it that touches some of us in some way, or brings back some memory (for example, for me, one is the number of plugs in the outlet - it reminds me of how my dad and brother and I would put all of the outdoor Christmas lights together and cover them with sandwich baggies or bread bags. I still wonder if there were a couple that bordered on "unsafe" sometimes. LOL)

But in how we look at it, whether it's 18 months or a year and a half, things can happen so fast.
18 months ago, I was holding my granddaughter with one hand, or had her cuddled in my arm, assuring her that grandpa is always going to be there for her.
A year and a half after my granddaughter was born, I'm watching her giggle and laugh and give silly smiles when I see her, taking her out to supper, and getting "muwah" kisses.
Yeah, I'm a proud grandpa.

Cherish the memories, and enjoy the special times.