One thing that, as a Pastor, I can never learn enough of is how to handle feelings.
Now on the surface, that might seem like a silly statement. Ah heck, let's just call it what it is - weird.
I was able to Skype with my youngest son's girlfriend last night. It was nice, considering my son seems to get busy with other things, and much to his girlfriend's nagging, doesn't call enough (do our grown kids every really call enough?). But in this nice conversation, the question came up about what I like and don't like about my job. The answer is pretty close to the same every time. The joys and concerns of the people.
I "like" my job because being there for people is what I do - I've been told by some high school classmates that I'm still in contact with that I've been like that for many years. Other Pastors have said that this is a great gift. OK... Thank you. But...
When people are hurt, one of the toughest things for me is to "destress" after the moment. It might be because someone has come into my office to tell me of an impending medical procedure. It might be because someone has passed away and I need to minister to the family. It might be that I am spending Christmas visiting people in the hospitals instead of going to be with my family and friends.
I have to admit that these feelings make me upset. By upset, I mean it in every sense of the word - sad, worrisome, whatever. I also mean "upset" by angry or mad. I'm like that because I'm so "Type A" that when there is nothing more that I can do other than have a conversation and prayer with the hurt person or people, I get frustrated, because in my mind, somehow, someway, there just has to be something more that can be done!
Right now, as I prepare for Sunday's Worship Services, I'm also preparing the list of joy and concerns from the previous week or two. Each name represents a hurt, scared, or pain in someone's life. I write the name on my notes so that I can give updates, and with each name, there is still pain, but somewhere, there is a glimmer of hope.
My secratary just left for the weekend. Her daughter is suffering from breast cancer. I was watching on "The Today Show" this morning where a TV Celebrity just had her double-mastectomy a couple of weeks ago (Click here to watch the interview). In my first Parish, I had a couple of ladies who was suffering breast cancer, and during that ordeal, found out that there was a couple of survivors within my Parish.
When faced with tragedies, how do we respond? We can always show support with ribbons or shaving our own heads, along with getting the word out. We can be compassionate when a family has faced a horrific incident, and give thanks as we watch cards and letters roll in from all over thew world, as I witnessed after the Von Maur Shooting in Omaha in which a family in my Parish had lost a son who was a hero to many people that day.
We can of course turn to prayer, and give thanks for the blessings we do have.
As I'm working on my Sermon for Sunday, I'm writing about how we are heirs through God, because Jesus was born under the law of the land so that those who were also born under the law (you and me) might receive adopton as children of God (Gal 4:4-7).
One thing I did see in the Today Show interview was how this celebrity and her husband and vowed that as they give each other that "New Year's kiss" at the stroke of midnight, to not look back on the past.
Maybe we should all do the same... Let's learn from the past, but not dwell on it. It's done, and it's over with. Let's move on and make 2012 a better year.
And for everyone who knows someone who is hurting, physically, emotionally, mentally, or spiritually, let's help them get through this time as well. It's never easy.
So to you and yours, have a happy and blessed New Year!