As the midnight hour grows nearer, I sit here thinking of the past year, I find myself reflecting on what has been and what will be. That may sound depressing, but it isn’t meant to be. It is just that as 2011 ends, I have been trying to remember all that I did or didn’t do in this past year, and what I have to face, overcome, or works towards as 2012 begins.
One of the things that have been on my mind is my Theological schooling. In 2011, I completed five classes, which is saying a lot, considering four is a full load. That is also saying a lot considering the fact that I jumped into one of my courses when some people were already turning in their advanced work, so I had only a few weeks when others had a few months, and yet I still passed the class. In 2012, I will be taking three classes.
And why only three? Because that is all that I have left.
Why is this a major thought for me – because in past years, I have had struggles that have held me back for one reason or another, and now I will be completed with this level finally. (Time to do a Snoopy dance)
Something else that seems to be on my mind is how I have been able to make contact with more people that I went to high school with. This is a good thing, because the contacts I have made have all been good ones, even with people that I’m willing to bet wouldn’t have thought about chatting with me near 30 years ago. Back then, there were those cliques. Now, it’s not about the cliques, it’s about a caring friendship that, even though may only be words, are a lot when faced with some of the adversities of life.
And that brings me to the adversities. This past year has been a time that has made me really see what being a Pastor is all about. As I have said in the past blogs, I enjoy being there for the people, but this past year has been one of lots of joys – weddings, birth and baptisms, reunions, and fellowships. But I also have had some moments that have been “less than enjoyable”… moving away from some good friends, burying some, and many other memories. But I see my new Pastoral appointment as a “step up”, in regards to the sizes of my Mission Field and the size of the communities and churches in which I serve. This has made me realize that as I enter 2012, I will need to learn some more time management so that I can also have the personal time for “R & R”, as well as time for family and friends.
Overall, with some changes that have happened and are happening, I will resolve to continue to better my health in all aspects, so that I can keep working to do what I do.
And my prayer for everyone is the same – may you enter into the New Year, recognizing all of God’s graces and blessings in your life so you can always better yourself for the kingdom of God.