Monday, February 13, 2012

In memory of Rev Irene Coates (Ret)

Many Pastors will tell you that there is "always that one person that_______"
Irene Coates was that person

I attended Faith UMC (Grand Island) before becoming a Pastor. Irene was always so caring on how my process of becoming a Pastor was going, and was always ready to pass along lots of words of wisdom.
Then, after I became a Pastor, she was always there at some event, even though she was retired, and wanted to make sure that I was doing ok.
And as a retired Pastor, she could have sat back and relaxed, enjoying the fruits of her ministry... But not Irene. She was involved with something all of the time, and whatever she was involved with, she was probably in a Leadership role, because she was one of those people who "couldn't sit still"... she always made sure (it) was done right. If she was involved with it, it was.

And then, years after I became a Pastor, she would even write me a card once or twice a year and "update" me on the happenings at Faith UMC.

I wish there was a way to bottle up her energy and leadership abilities. Both Clergy and Laity could learn a lot from her!

She will be sadly missed as they celebrate her life tomorrow.