Monday, February 20, 2012

Lent and giving of yourself

I have 3 students in Confirmation this year. And part of my teaching is to have them decide what they will give up (sacrifice) for Lent.
This has been, in a weird way, part of the "fun" of teaching the Classes now and in the past. To watch a group think of what they want to not do or give up or put aside during the Lenten Season can be humorous, because some of the things that have been given up in the past have been things like "chewing gum" or "playing video games". But I have to give kuddos to some of my past students, because they made this commitment, whatever it was, and stuck to it. So with that being said, I'm wondering what this year's students decide.

Now I have to also make the same decision. What would I give up or sacrifice?
Some others Pastors have agreed that we (Pastors) always give up 'time' during Lent. It might be because of extra Lenten Studies that we oversee or teach, or the prep involved during Worship Services during a season like Lent, or because of the increased meeting that occur during this time of the year, or a list of other things.

But I've also stated in the past that I have things to do in the next weeks... a required Course class, my parents' 50th anniversary, and I still need to get up to Minnesota to see my granddaughter again and see their new house.

As I went back through my email box to clean it up, I found some emails from a "specialist" in prayer. I'd really like to get him into this area. But one of the things he presses on (that I've talked of before as well I believe) is that there isn't enough time to pray for the Pastor. Pastors have a task to do, and it's not just for 5-9 hours 4-5 days a week... it's the phone calls during supper, or 4 a.m., or it's the educating people on how things are really suppose to be done, as opposed to their own opinion.

And then I read something the other day that gave me an epiphany... The question was something like "as we pray for our issues or the issues of other people, are we praying for the wisdom to help that person?"
In other words, prayers are nice and necessary, but what can a person do to minister to someone?

For example, I just received a phone call from a Prayer Chain. The person/family will need prayers, of course, but what else will they need?
Meals?
Support?
Respite time?
Help around the house?

I once asked someone why more things weren't done for people around here (I come from places where, when someone is sick or injured or mourning), and the response I got was "it's not a Nebraska thing".
That's a crock.

To start, while IN NEBRASKA, I've seen more casseroles and treats and housework done for people who are hurting in some way. I even had a meal delivered each day while I was sick once, and I still remember the "icy treats" that I got after having hand surgery some years ago.

Christ never said "sit around and pray". He said to GO.

So now that you've read this, I'm sure you're working on who you can do something for, and not just the "one time shot", but in a way that leaves a lasting impression.
So GO.