Monday, February 27, 2012

TGIM (Thank God It's Monday)

This past weekend, I managed to run my first call for assisting on a medical helicopter transport, which isn't all that great, except that the helipad is in the middle of the main street in Osmond.
This makes it really obvious that someone is being flown out of either the doctor's office or the hospital. The helipad is right in front of the doc's office, and about half a block from the ER entrance, and so it actually is the best place for it, but on a Friday night (when the local diner has fish night, which is always a BIG thing here), it is not a secret that something has happened somewhere around here.
The sad news is that something did happen in Wausa (about 15 miles or so from Osmond). Some teenagers were driving down a gravel road and lost control, and the vehicle rolled multiple times, ejecting 3 out of the 4 teens. The 1 who wasn't ejected was able to crawl out before the vehicle caught fire, but one of the kids that were ejected had serious head injuries, and so they were flown to Omaha. Unfortunately, she died from her injuries.

While looking at my Facebook page last night, I read a post from a church in the Nebraska Panhandle that their Pastor is going on a Leave of Absence to pursue a different career. This leaves me wondering about that Pastor, the church he currently serves, and the community around it.
Granted, I'm sure he has his reasons, and knowing this guy, it has probably been something that he has thought of for quite some time, I know how many felt about some positive changes he made around there.

My Pierce church is taking part in a community weekly Lenten Services. It has been a long-time tradition, but I have to admit that it is a "frustration" for me. Yes, I am the new guy, so I have tons to learn about this tradition, so I need to put my "Type A" away again.
My worry is that I do a good-enuf job for my church and the others.

But through all of this, last night I saw an amazing sight... the moon was so visible in the twilight sky, and the nearby stars (which I believe are Mars and Venus) were clearly lit. Then a huge flock of geese or cranes flew overhead.
This served as a reminder that there are some things that are much bigger than all of us, and that the grace of God is with us always.

Granted, the passing of a young person still tears at my heart. Just knowing of change makes me anxious. I need to be less "Type A".

But through the pain, nervousness, and wringing of the hands, we need to remember to put God first, and let the blessings we get everyday be something we notice, realize, and allow us to walk the path that as it may bring us through our trials and tribulations, we can still know that God will lift us through those times.