Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Learning (Church) Politics

I've always told people that in my family, my dad is the politician, not me.
He was a City Councilperson and a Mayor, among other Offices he's held in various groups in his life so far.
I've only been on a Student Council a couple of times (once in Course of Study and another at a Community College, being a Student President for a semester). I've also taken some interest in City happenings, and been on a Planning and Zoning Board for a community I was appointed to once.

Now any of that means that I really am into politics, then I need to reassess my life.

This morning, I went to Lincoln to serve as the Nebraska Legislative Chaplain of the Day. The position is actually quite easy, if you can follow the rules... Give the Opening Prayer, trying to keep it under 2 minutes; Do not express any personal political agenda while at the Stand at any point; Arrive early enough so the Sgt at Arms (Senate Guards) can go over some "ins and outs" with you (it's important to know because one of them will escort the Chaplain through the Floor after the Prayer so you can receive greetings from all of the Senators, as well as knowing where to sit, and when and how to come and go); and anything else someone might deem necessary.
After all of that, then you are introduced and give the opening prayer

Another thing is that you probably want to make sure that you are looking your best - the Sessions are televised on one of the Public Television Stations, as well as Webcast.

I do what I do, but I still have to follow the rules.



After giving the Opening Prayer this morning and taking my seat in the corner of the Senate Floor, I was joined by a High School Sophomore who is working on learning Politics. Her insight was more than I have heard many people express in a long time.
But what shocked me the most about this young lady was the stories that she was tell me of how her own Church was and is going through turmoil. Some of it had to do with the standings of her "National" or "Worldwide" decisions of her Church, as well as local problems.

To give an example, her Youth Group was sternly criticized for where blue jeans in Church. What made this worse was that it was a "casual Sunday", and so the "older folks" who were raising the stink complained that the girls didn't cross their legs when they were sitting down (in jeans).

So imagine the fun we had when one of the items on the Senate Agenda dealt with the use of golf carts in neighborhoods.

My role in life is that of a Pastor. The word "Pastor" takes on many meanings, as opposed to "Preacher" or "Priest" (each have a separate responsibility, and are included in the "job" of Pastor.)
But something that people need to understand is that "politics" don't need to be a church or try to run it, just as one or two people or families can't try to bully a church.
Yet it happens, and so being a Pastor sometimes DOES make me work politics. But not in a good way for all, unless people can be open-minded and caring to and for everyone.

If a Church's Mission is to care for it's community (ALL of the community), just like about every type and size of Church is suppose to do, then what happens when the Church cannot provide for it's own local mission? Do the people just sit around, or do they make things happen? Do people deny that there is a problem in their church, or do they seek solutions so that a beautiful building doesn't go to waste?

If people want to play "politics" with their Church, then they need to be sure what the rules are.