Tuesday, April 17, 2012

what's on tv?

How many people remember Mr. Rogers?
What about Captain Kangaroo?




Seems like so many years ago! But in thinking back, it's only been... so many years ago.

I haven't been feel well lately - probably just a cold - but I took advantage of my day off today and slept in. It helped, until I turned on the TV and was looking for something to watch to "be comfortable" with.
I remember waking up to watch Captain Kangaroo. I remember coming home from school to watch Mr. Rogers (and as a side-note, I had a high school teacher who told me that she once lived by Mr. Rogers, and he was the kind of person that we all watched on tv).

But now when I wake up in the morning, I'll channel-surf through some modern kids programs like Dora the Explorer or Curious George, but those shows are between a Cheaters show, a True Hollywood story about Lindsey Lohan, a show about being 16 and Pregnant, and the numerous other things on tv.

These shows might have some entertainment value to some people, but is this a sign of things to come? What has happened to the days when kids could watch tv without the parents wondering what channel was on? Or the days when we didn't need ratings on our shows like in the movies?
I'm not saying that the television should be the "babysitter". I was able to keep busy by watching the morning and afternoon shows of my time and look how I turned out (ok, maybe we ought to use someone else as an example, especially seeing how on of my favorite movies is "The Cable Guy" with Jim Carrey, but you get the idea!)

Now that we have these "reality" shows on in the morning, is it any wonder why we are wondering why people are turning out how they are, or why times have changed so much?

Holy holograms Batman! Can't we just watch some simple shows anymore?  LOL