This has got to be one of the most stressful weeks that I can remember having. On top of having to get my work wrapped up for Course of Study, I've been busy with working some details of the "Fairfield Creek Fire". I get to do this because I'm the Disaster Response Coordinator for my District.
I don't mind it so much, but I have a different level of seeing things than others do, so for example, in everything I do, I have to be sure to not use "firefighter language" when talking to people who aren't firefighters. I found this out when using the term "cleanup".
Another thing I found out was that there are so many people who want to help (which is a great thing!), but what kind of help is needed is necessary to know first. An example is that someone wanted to take loads of water and certain supplies for the firefighters. As it turned out, the Command Post was well-stocked (over stocked) already with those items.
This reminds me of when I was taught to keep my composure when running with lights & siren while driving a Rescue Squad or Fire Truck. One Paramedic told me "Carry on a conversation, and still watch the traffic".
What he was teaching was that if my nerves were stressed or I was excited in any way, I would lose focus on what I'm really doing. This way, I can think through the call before I arrive, or consider alternative routes in case I run into something while enroute to the hospital (and this was done when I was in southern California - a whole different kind of driving).
But with the fire being as bad as it's been, and the area I live in being in a severe drought situation (bad enough to where some people's wells have run dry), every time the town siren starts up or my pager beeps, my heart starts to race a little more.
I hate this, because I joke that I can get my dog into her cage, get my truck out of the garage, and get to the Station using a bumpy alley (so I can't drive fast), while someone else will race to beat all heck, dodging everything in site, and leave me in the dust, but even when they pull up ahead of me, their catching their breath as I'm walking calmly, and it usually means I'm in my gear and on a Truck before them....
Now I've rambled because the point was that I have learned to be really, really calm.
But now I'm in panic-mode.
Town Siren starts (even for the noon whistle) or Beeper beeps (just for tests), my pulse races. LOL
I'm afraid to "get the call". I'm afraid to have something more "tossed on my plate". I'm afraid to have to "add something more to the pile".
With all that said, I know that I'm incredibly horrible when it comes to time management. And now I've been having to add in answering questions and getting information for the Conference Office (which is easy - I don't mind. I just want to do a good job).
So after this round of Course of Study, I am going to be taking a vacation, as in vacating. No beeper. Probably no cell either. Just me and the open road.
I'll probably go to......
NO--- I'm not going to say. Someone might find me. =)
In closing, I got a note from an old friend who told me how the firefighters I worked with at my last location have been running every day. I'm sure others have also. I saw on the news this evening that one department worked a smaller fire this evening for 24 hours.
So PLEASE keep all these people in your thoughts and prayers. The firefighters, the support personnel, etc. Please.
Blessings.
