Sunday, July 8, 2012

How good are you to others... and do you tell others?

Earlier today while I was sitting in my living room, I noticed an SUV from a nearby county pulling up in my driveway. As the driver, an elderly lady, stepped out of it, I stepped outside to see if I could help her - I didn't know her, and maybe there was something she needed that would be better taken care of at my office or something.

She introduced herself and her husband, who was sitting in the passenger seat, and then thanked me for buying their lunch a day or two ago.
(Rewind)
I had gone to the Tiger Tavern (the local diner in Osmond) to have a sandwich for lunch, and while sitting there, an elderly couple was at another table. I could overhear them talking with the waitress, and they were so polite. I had no idea who they were, and it didn't matter. I just felt like being nice.

I do that sometimes. Maybe to the stressed-out mom or the police officer or whoever. Sort of like the movie "Pay It Forward". An exception would be that I don't hang around to explain - I just pay someone's tab and walk away. Many times I will tell the waitress to not say anything, other than that the tab was paid and that the person or people can return the favor to someone else in some kind way. but in almost every case, the waitress will spill the beans and give me up.
Sometimes I might buy everyone's coffee when we all get together and swap stories in the morning, just because. Usually it's because I think almost everyone in there has bought me a cup of coffee or a roll, so I'm just returning the favor, but that one will go back and forth until I die probably.

But when people find out that I bought their lunch or something, I've gotten a thank you when someone has seen me, but in a few cases (and only a few) has someone gone out of their way to come find me to thank me or send me a note.

Don't get the wrong idea - I'm not looking for the thanks - actually, quite the opposite. I'd rather the person or people humbly go do something good for someone else.
And then there have been times when I've done something like this and told the person "just go do something nice for someone secretly", and then found out that as they did that nice thing, they made sure to let everyone know how great they were... sort of lost it's flavor, buddy.

So here's a challenge for you - do something good for someone quietly. Pay for someone's slice of pie, pay for the lunch of the person behind you at the drive-thru, leave some donuts for the firefighters or cops (check with the people in charge first to make sure it doesn't go against any policies), etc.
This is something more than holding a door open for someone, it taking the time to go to the manager of the store to let him/her know of the good job that one of the employees were doing, even if it wasn't the best - TELL THE POSITIVE. It's surprising the waiter with a tip that he would have deserved but might not have gotten because of problems outside of his control. It's cutting your neighbor's grass when their at work so that they don't have to.

If you get stopped and asked why, just tell them you're just being nice. If you're asked more, just tell them to pass a favor to someone else. If the person persists with questions or something, blame me.

Good deed-doing to you.
Blessings!