Saturday, September 22, 2012

Now that I'm a big boy...

I've set myself a goal... I'm working on making a certain weight by October 16th, my 48th birthday. If I can make that particular number, then as I told my secretary, I'll be doing the "Evan Almighty Dance", the "I'm Sexy and I Know It" Dance, Mr. Bean style (watch the video below), as well as cheering, shouting, so on and so forth.

One thing that may set me back is that right after I returned from Ohio last month, I got a lung infection. It's something that seems to be going around here, possibly from the drought, dry air, pollen and allergies, etc. It "knocked me down" hard for a week or so, and the "getting back up" part has been slow. Seems like a lot of people are going through the same.
But Friday night, I decided to give walking a shot... and it worked! Two miles without breaking a sweat. Oh yeah!!

While I was walking, I thought about a lot of things (as I usually do...). One thing was how one couple in my church was telling me that we should have a big celebration for the weight I've lost so far. I appreciate what the husband says, as well as the wife. They're very supportive. I do wonder it they also like to "show off" who guessed closest to my weekly weightloss. Gotta love them. LOL

I also thought about some upcoming meetings and special Services I have coming up. A "retreat", a couple of stops with the new Bishop, World Communion Sunday, A Service of Healing and Renewal, a "pulpit swap", the Charge Conference and everything to prep for that, as well as many other things.
I then realized that in all of it, I don't have to try to stick in five to ten essays or written assignments for some class.
My graduating from Course of Study is still sinking in.

I then thought about a word that has come up many times in the past, but so much so in just the last month or so, and especially so in the past couple of weeks. It's "communication".
So many things get twisted around because someone doesn't understand what someone else says, or because this person doesn't like how that person said something, then it creates tension, hate, distrust, anxiety, etc. It's ridiculous.

I also considered how some people simply talk to others, which made me think back to my birthday.
In a few weeks, I'm going to be 48. I'm a dad and a grandpa. As I was once (or more) told, that pretty much means that I don't have to be told what to do by other people.
And then I listen to how people talk to me... how they've demanded my time away from my family when it isn't an emergency, or how they linger on about something that happened earlier at some meeting or event that I had no control of, and can't change the course of history about, or how some people will say things to me that my own parents wouldn't even say, and even if my parents did say certain things, again, I'm getting to be an old man myself - but I can stand up on my own. LOL

So as I'm rounding the bend to 48, striving for a particular number (I may tell you at that time...), my diet isn't the only thing that is changing in my life.
I'm going to be taking better care of me - not just physically, but mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I'm going to be changing how I exercise. I'm going to be working on my "other side of the altar rail" essay. I'm going to be finding time so that I can go to church. I'm going to spend more time with family and friends.

So look out... I'm going full speed ahead, and if I lose the weight to get to get to that number, it might get really exciting (or scaring, depending on your viewpoint or what you had for breakfast).

Blessings!