And I'm not even talking about the hassles of "counting calories". I use a website and smartphone app calling My Fitness Pal that will track my daily calories for me. Sure, I have to take a moment at some point and input my meals and snacks into the page, but it does the rest. At grand total of 'maybe' 10-15 minute a day (even of it's broken up through the day for the individual meals) and it totals my calories and subtracts it from my daily allowed calories.
Is it working? Well, in 21 weeks, I've lost 50 pounds so far. And to tell you something about me if you didn't know it, I've got the willpower of a slug. So yeah - it works =)
The hassles I'm talking about are the following...
- Clothes - the obvious. I've been so accustom to wearing a particular size. No, I wasn't happy in that size, but it was what it was. Now that I've lost inches all over, the bluejeans that I hardly wore were way too big, as well as the slacks I have. Thank God I know someone who is taking in the waist of my jeans and some of my slacks so that I don't have to spend a lot of bucks all at once. She offered to do it for nothing, but I still will be giving her something for her time, talent, and Christian love, because this saves me some money that I'll need for the HASSLE of having to go to a professional to have the dress slacks altered. In some cases, the pants are beyond alteration - I've lost too much weight (yeah - how dare me!). So there is the hassle of time, money, and miles from my days, which are busy during this period. AND THEN, I didn't realize that a shirt that it a size or so too BIG would be a hassle to wear... Oh my gosh! Half of my t-shirts are going to the thrift store... I can't wear them - I'm swimming in these things. But after I tried to put on a Sports Coat on Sunday for Church, I knew I had a hassle. I could almost fit another person inside the coat I first grabbed. I looked like I was wearing a clown costume. There was no way to pull off wearing it. So again, I'll have to go have this tailored to fit me, IF it can be.
- Fitness / Health Prevention Information - updating my information. One of the benefits I have as part of my health insurance is to participate in Virgin Healthmiles, started by Sir Richard Branson of the Virgin Records and all those other things he's famous for. VHM is a "preventative healthcare" type of benefit where I track my steps every day, log them into the computer, and if I keep up with certain goals, I receive rewards for working to maintain better health. The hassle here is that one of the items in my profile that is tracked is my weight, so as I drop the pounds, I have to go into the Profile Settings in my VHM login and update it at least every other week. Not a big deal, but when there is also my WebMD benefit through my insurance, the information at my doctor's office, and any other number of things that it might arise at, if you think about it, it's not a typical thing that comes up. And now that I think about it, will I have to HASSLE with changing the weight that it listed on my Driver's Licence? Nuts! (Thanks goodness one of my parishioners works at the courthouse - maybe I can just ask her sometime later so I don't have to hassle them now)
- "Special Tables" - Finding the right foods. There is a "reverse embarrassment" that happens sometimes when someone who knows my eating habits, and especially how they were, stops to point out the vegetables for me while showing everyone else the potato salads, chips, dips, cheese balls, cakes, cookies, etc. FIRST, let me say this - When this happens, I VERY MUCH APPRECIATE what these people do. They recognize me and my efforts. They are aware of what I'm doing, and as a dear friend, they've listened and heard me talk about my new lifestyle. For that, I say THANK YOU. The hassle here would be society's view on the situation. For example, if someone welcomes you and other guests to a party, and takes you all to show you around and points out where you can find the food, and tells one of the guests "the veggie tray is over there for you", some people might stop and wonder "why was that guy singled out?" But society needs to get a grip on the fact that people have different eating habits, and they also need to accept that some people are aware of others, and are gracious and caring enough to ensure that all of their guests feel welcome.
So when you're thinking that it's a hassle to lose weight, think again.
YES, there are hassles. But would I give it up? Nope, not even for the people who "complain" about my clothes on Sunday morning (and if you ever wonder why I chuckle and smile sometimes... HeeHeeHee)
Blessings, and smile with me. Enjoy, and find the laughter in life.