Thursday, September 13, 2012

Would it break?

I've always seen "humor" as a good quality, and have often said that it is something that I possess. Now I have to question myself.

I recently posted another "progression picture" of my face to show how I'm slimming down through my lifestyle changes, and it has made me happy. I'm even happy that my clothes are fitting me so much nicer, and some slacks and jeans that are too big for me can be taken in by my secretary. So what can go wrong with that?

But after a couple of comments were made (again) about how I should smile in my pictures, I thought "ok, now I'm going to get even!" So I took a picture with a giant "oh gosh, look out" grin on my face and posted it on Facebook.
I had over 20 "likes".

I know that this week, I've been a little down... I just did a wedding that was a little tough to do, and I'm working on a funeral that is making me going from phone to place to phone to computer to records to phone to work on, and the family won't be here to meet with me until later (I need more time than some others to prep), and a very nice colleague and the husband of a nice and beloved past pastor of one of my churches who I trusted to preach for me while I was gone was killed in a car accident this past week, and then all of the little stuff that has creeped up on me so... it's been a little tough.
But I've been make great accomplishments in different aspects of my life, standing up in defense of the poor and unchurched (that's a whole diffferent story), sharing laughs with some people, and even taking time to enjoy the weather, especially as it turns a little cooler. So I'm a very happy guy.

Really, I am.

So here is my goal - find something at least twice a day that makes me laugh. And not just a chuckle, but a serious, laugh. If I can't do a good laugh, I have to find something that make my endorphins or whatever kick in, something that increases my mood... enjoying the birds in the trees, relaxing to some old gospel music, reflecting on some old memories, whatever.

The goal is how much I can smile in a week... If I can bring back the humor I was REALLY known for, even the "clown" humor that gifted me a clown from my first parish that I keep on my office shelf in front of me, then I've reached a goal, and from there, I'll increase it.
If I still need to work o the goal, then look out - who knows what funny books or movies I'll be dragging out then!

Be glad in the Lord, and rejoice, O righteous, and shout for joy, all you upright in heart! (Ps 32:11)