This weekend, I realized that it had been a while since I went walking. Between the snow/ice on the uneven roads in this town, and the hectic scheduling of different year-end reports that are due, I allowed it to slip away.
Of course, I could have gotten around the excuses - and for that, I can only blame myself.
This morning, I decided to go weigh-in... the first time I had done that in two months. I was trying to catch up on stuff, and I usually weigh-in on my day off, and my time has been "rearranged" by some new events. Also, I only had to jump out of bed to go, and sleep has been a valuable commodity over the last few weeks.
Of course, I could have gotten around the excuses - and for that, I can only blame myself.
So the other day, I went on my walking route for the first time in a long time. The roads were mostly clear, but the weather was COLD. And when Dingo and I weren't getting snowed on, the frost from the trees was dropping on us. A nice "winter wonderland", if I am to find a positive =)
This morning, I weighed in for the first time in two months. I found that I had gained 3 or 4 pounds. ARG! But overall, my clothes are still fitting good and for many possibilities, I could have gained a lot more than that.
I can go back and forth on everything... I started running on my walk this past weekend, and I set a great time for myself for the route. And now I have shin-splits. I have been watching what I'm eating a lot better and easier. But I have to be better at tracking my meals.
One thing I've learned in the past 10 months is that everything is about ATTITUDE. When I have a positive attitude, things go great, even if I didn't make a goal. When I have a negative attitude, I'm losing battles, no matter how well I try.
How can we apply this to every day life?
First, people can stop complaining. Seriously, just stop. For every complaint I've seen or heard, I can point out a few "worse" things so easily. So face the fact that you don't have it so bad.
Second, people can stop complaining. Just quit complaining. There ARE positives, and if you're bickering about "how bad" you have it, you'll miss the great things.
Third, people can stop complaining. Enough already. Did you ever read the story about the boy who cried wolf? Some people think it's just about false alarms, but overall, it tells you that the more you squawk, the more people will tune you out, or maybe just avoid the negativity. Listen to yourself and think of how many people you can irritate with your words. Then compare that to how many people don't seem to come around any more.
Finally, start every day with a positive. Be happy at something. Laugh at something. Hug someone. Make a good breakfast. Enjoy nature. Enjoy the sound of kids playing. Call an old friend, or better yet, call a foe and reconcile.
Face it, the negativity gets you no where.
People don't visit? The road is the same distance in both directions.
People talking trash about you? Is it true, and if so, how can you better yourself? If it's not true, does it really matter what they say? They can't take your air away from you. Breath and move on.
People whining too much? Lift the positives - They can't take that away from you.
People on your case? Tell them to back off. If you're a grown-up, you have that ability. If they don't like it, then oh well.
Being positive is like having a strong rope pulling you up when you're trying to climb a cliff. The struggles might seem hard, and the anxiety can be overwhelming, but having that tug along the way give you the power to make it.
Have a great day!