Ecclesiastes 3:1 starts off with "There is a time for everything..."
This past couple of days proves it.
As I sat with the daughters of a dear parishioner by her bedside as she drew her final breath and went to be with the Lord, I couldn't help but stop and think of the number of times this nice woman would tell me the same story of, as a child, walking two miles with her mom to go clean the Stark Valley Church (which is now torn down).
And then this morning, I got an anticipated phone call from a parishioner who just became a grandparent for the first time. I rejoiced with him as he "recited the numbers" of the time of birth, the weight, and the length of his new grandson.
I've just completed putting the finally touches on tomorrow's Message, coinciding with Holy Communion as well as the love for one another that we should have. I also started compiling everything for the Memorial Service for Betty as we will be celebrating her life on Monday morning, and I'll be getting the rest of the notes from the family tomorrow night (so now I have a little head-start).
Part of my Scripture for tomorrow comes from 1 John 3:16 - "We know love by this, that he laid down his life for us - and we ought to lay down our lives for one another."
How much are we willing to sacrifice? How much are we willing to give of ourselves?
Betty gave her entire life as a testimony to the love of God. The new grandfather will do anything to protect his grandson.
What will we do to show that we are who we are?
Or have you already shown you who really are?
I guess you'll have to ask yourself if you can answer that, and can everyone who knows you give the same answer?
Blessings.