Monday, June 25, 2012

to be WOWed

Today was weigh-in day, and as much as I have tried to stay true to my new lifestyle, I admit that each time I step on the scales, I get nervous. Maybe it's because I'm afraid of hitting a plateau. Maybe I'm worried that I miscalculated some meals through the week. Who knows. I'm just get nervous.

But today, I didn't get nervous, I got worried. I was worried that I wasn't reading something right. I measured my weight, and there was a loss of 8.5 pounds. OK... maybe I'm not standing on the scales right. So I adjusted my feet and checked it again. Yep. 8.5 pounds. So then I looked at it to make sure it was balancing right. Still good. I was still so doubtful about it all that after I stepped out of the room, I had to go back in to make sure I had the numbers right before I would put them into the "My Fitness Pal" website.
(disclaimer: some of my weightloss could be from some dehydration, but we'll know that more for sure next week. "The jury is still out".)

Last week, I tried on some bluejeans that have not fit me in quite some time. I was hoping that I would be able to wear them by this Fall. The verdict is that I probably won't be able to on account that at the going rate, they'll be too big. They're already slightly loose on me.

The other day, I found some dress slacks that I have not worn in years. One reason is that they're starting to get slightly worn out, but the key reason is that I haven't been able to fit into them. I tried them on, while still wearing my pager and cellphone on my waist, and I was able to get them on.

Now with all of these successes of my new lifestyle come some downsides (and I say this with a chuckle or two...).
After so many tries to get my eyeglasses adjusted, I'm finding that they have to be adjusted again due to the fact that my slender/narrowing/skinnier face is more slender/narrow/skinnier than it was before, and thus, my glasses need to be readjusted to fit. Ugh.

I am also finding that I will have to do some serious shopping sooner than I thought. Not only for dress clothes, but even for casual stuff - even my draw-string shorts are getting to be big enough to my the fit a little awkward.

Finally (and this is about half-serious and half-joking), I am still learning to eat. I know to eat smaller portions, smarter snacks, and better foods, but there is the "occupational hazards".
For example, yesterday at the Osmond Summerfest, because the theme was something like ""Faith, Family, Fun", all three Clergy were judges or spotlighted at certain events or shows. The "killer" for me was the Pie Baking Contest. It wasn't too bad for the fact that I only had to eat a bite of each pie, but there were 21 pies. That equals about 3 or 4 pies. And for someone who is cutting down to MAYBE a piece or pie once a month, then 3 or 4 was making my stomach turn over on itself. So imagine my joy when I was able to eat something other than sugar today!

But overall, I've been wow'ed by lots of things... being able to go for long walks without feeling like death, fitting into clothing, being overall healthier...
But my biggest WOW has been the support from everyone. So THANK YOU.