Friday, June 1, 2012

Different, Wasted - good or bad?

In the past month, I've lost ten pounds. I do wish it was more, but I it is suppose to be a good, recommended amount, so I'll take it.
Within the past few days, I've been told that I'm a "different person". Wasn't sure how to answer it, but the couple that said it there in one of my churches said that my face looked thinner.
Cool.
I was also told this morning that I look like I'm wasting away. It was in reference to my thinning appearance.
Wow.

Now in case you didn't know it, as lazy as I am, I'm also very impatient. Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but not a lot of things I do make a lot of sense.
I want more than 10 pounds in a month to come off. I want 20, or 30, or 40. So if you can imagine how I felt the first couple of times I checked my weight and lost 4 pounds in the week, and then went in and only lost 2 or so pounds... my mind went into depression-mode, and I was ready to give up, but instead of gorging on donuts and cookies (and I can eat up an entire box of donuts easily!), I'd go buy a bag of carrots or pop open a bottle of flavored water or make me some peanut butter and crackers (same calories as a snack-pack of donuts, and the snack-pack won't come close to filling me).

And as impatient as I am, it doesn't help either that I'm a "stress-eater". Any form of stress come into my life, and I'm raiding my cupboards. (For my fellow clergy who have "had those days", you can probably hear my growls as well. LOL).
So when I have a day when I'm trying to get a bulletin ready, write a sermon, prep a Kids Time, decide which hymns to use for the Service, pick out or write the Litany and Congregational Prayers, thinking of Service and/or Sermon Illustrations, follow-up on Prayer Requests, check on Upcoming Events...and that's for two different cities but for only one day of the week. The other four or five has it's share of meetings, visits, appointments, community involvement, social calls, continued learning, etc. And again, that's between two different cities, if I don't have to travel to other city for a hospital visits or something else.
Stress.
So I could get hungry, or "think" I was hungry, within an hour after eating lunch some days.

And to stress me out even moreso, because I've lost this 10 pounds, I readjusted the "goals" on the "My Fitness Pal" website and smartphone app so that it can figure in my now-different body mass index for my weight loss plan. The result was a daily caloric intake of about 400-500 calories less. UGH - That's a complete meal for me. In some cases, when I would plan the meals well, it would be a snack.
Darn it!

But, while I sit here and nibble on my carrot sticks or celery stalks or sip my flavored water, sulking and pouting, deep down inside, I'm feeling really great, because as I recently commented to some people, I noticed on Memorial Day that a pair of my dress slacks were very loose - so loose that I'll soon be investing in a tailor for my clothes. So the local doc and I were joking on what was cheaper - junk food or clothes. In the end, the clothes won, because with junk food, my healthcare costs will be less.
Joy!

So how does that kids' book go - the one about the train...
I know I can, I know I can!