Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Here comes Christmas!

Christmas is coming soon! I'm excited, in a way...
As an adult, it is a different feeling. Being a Pastor, I enjoy the opportunity to preach God's Word to the people, and hope that they get something out of it, praying that they understand the meaning of Christmas. Also, being a Pastor, it's, in a sense, a position where I don't get the "day off" like many other people might. I'm in a different frame of mind when I preach, and so I'm hoping that I'm close enough to some colleague's church so that I can be "on the other side" sometime Christmas Eve. I miss that.

But as a kid, I would be counting days, and to practice my Math, I'd count the hours, minutes, and seconds. To tell you how excited I'd be about Christmas, I don't mind Math, but it's not something I would sit around doing to that extent.
I've shared a couple of memories in past blogs, and now here is another memory - the t.v. specials, mostly the Rankin-Bass ones like Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer or Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town.

As I watched Rudolph this evening, I remember the feeling of the felt pajamas that I wore as a kid, and thought back to the days of looking through the TV Guide for more TV Specials to come on. The only one I didn't like to watch was Little Drummer Boy because for some reason, I'd always feel so sad that I would want to cry when I'd see the little lamb get hurt and the Drummer Boy would cry (I remember crying when I was 5 years old from that scene).

It's amazing how seeing how hearing something can bring back memories. Even as my brother was texting me pictures of the process of him baking rocks (yeah, we eat rocks - a family recipe if you haven't been reading my posts... I might post the recipe later if you're nice. LOL) I could seem to smell the scent of the rocks baking in the oven as I looked at the pictures.

Who knows... maybe this year I'll get the courage to watch Little Drummer Boy if it comes on t.v.