One thing that I've enjoyed here and there in my "adult" years is playing Santa Claus. Being there and watching a kid's eyes light up is something that is so amazing. The only thing that surpasses it is how I will surprise myself by getting out of those tough situations where the little ones realize that the big guy with the long white bread is kinda scary (they're not quite ready for the 'real Santa' versus the 'TV Santa').
Today I got to be Santa again. And what fun! Even when some adults have fun with it, wanting a picture with Santa (hey, anything for a 'fan' - Ho Ho Ho!). But one thing I heard from a few kids was "is (so and so) on the naughty or nice list" or what they "want" as opposed to what the "need". And then after reading my brother's blog where he talked about how we used to go to both sets of our grandparents houses on Christmas, it made me remember how we always seemed to get knit slippers or a package of socks or something like that along with some toys from one of our grandparents.
Back then, I remember, with now remorse, how we could feel the Christmas gifts and "figure out" the knitted slippers or clothing items, and think "do I get these out of the way now with a Thank You so I can get to the toys, or do I get to the toys so that the "thanks" are worn out".
Now, being a grandpa, sitting in my chair with a lap-blanket and wondering what kind of socks will keep my feet warm, I miss those days-gone-by. A time when looking back, we got things we wanted, but also got what we needed.
When a child asked Santa today about if someone else was on the naughty or nice list, Santa asked them if they really wanted to know about that other person, or themselves, and if they wanted to know about themselves, then only their actions could decide that. When a youth told Santa about not getting what they 'wanted', but instead getting something that their parents thought that they needed, and they didn't like that, then Santa told them a story about a little boy who learned to appreciate everything he got.
What we've learned in life isn't just memories - they're opportunities to teach future generations about life.
Like what it means to eat a rock. (A 'rock' is a family recipe muffin-type cookie what is hard as a rock, usually made one year and then left in a tin until the next year, and really great!)
Or hanging over the edge of a roof to hang Christmas lights because you're having too much fun to worry about heights.
Or saving up all the bread bags to protect the numerous plugs from all of the Christmas lights, which in retrospect, makes me wonder how safe it was - like something out of "A Christmas Story".
Or how to have the kids wait in one room while the parents get some extra sleep before opening gifts.
Or how to "raise the noise level" without being "loud" to get the parents up so to go open gifts.
Or how to get the Christmas stocking felt off of the sticky candy.
All of those are fun memories that I plan to share with my grandchildren as I wrap up a sweater or two.
More reminiscing later!