Thursday, November 24, 2011

Is Thanksgiving over?

I'm stuffed! Cornish Hen, yam, stuffing, carrots, cranberry sauce, rolls, and of course, pumpkin pie. All of this after weeks of watching people post on Facebook of things that they're thankful for and giving my congregations a challenge of being thankful for what they have, thanking 10 people each day, and ending each day with realizing what they learned to appreciate.
Then as I've sat here and relax and watched movies and enjoyed my Thanksgiving Day dinner, I watched as people would post on FB about their dinners and such, and prepping for Black Friday specials (and how some people are even posting tents in front of some stores - what is so important that you have to camp in front of a store? Sheesh!)

And now I'm thinking of what I'll be preaching as we go upon our Advent journey, and what Christmas means. 30 days of a trip to something which I hope is exciting, but mostly inspiring and eye-opening.

But now that the only idea of Thanksgiving will now be how to use the leftovers, do we stop thinking about giving thanks every day? Do we stop saying thank you as much as we should? Do we stop reflecting how things we've learned to appreciate? If we do, then what good will the hope, peace, joy, and love of the Advent season do?

Was your Thanksgiving nice? If so, why stop? If not, work to make it better now.
We should never stop giving thanks.