Thursday, May 3, 2012

About that Weight thing...

Here's another update about my weightloss work.

I was using a free smartphone app called "Noom", but was having some issues with them always having a pop-up of wanting me to upgrade to the "pro" version. But then I got a call from my brother today, and he reminded me that I hadn't gone onto the "My Fitness Pal" site that he invited me onto about a week ago, yet here I was trying to lose weight. So after some more looking, I found that My Fitness Pal did have a smartphone app, as well as the website. What makes this easier is that it also has a feature where instead of me trying to type in a particular kind of baked beans (for example, this evening, I had Bush's Grilled Smokehouse flavored, and the nutritional values on that would be different than ShurFine brand regular baked beans), all I have to do, if I'm using my smartphone, is "scan" the barcode on the can. As a disclaimer, the can of baked beans didn't scan, but when I did a search, I was able to locate it. But I was able to scan my cereal box.

Also, another feature is that the Noom would remind you to do your workout, which would be ok, but of course, isn't convenient when on a Rescue call or in a meeting. It would also only allow you to do the workout that you pre-programmed it that you wanted to do. My Fitness Pal only has the spot for me to put in what activities I've done for exercising, and then calculates that into my caloric figures for the day. With all of the numbers, it does help me see that if I want that ice cream, I'm going to have to walk to and from the mini-mart to get it and leave the truck in the garage.

One other feature that I like is that I can leave comments for myself or for a friend on the site, or my brother could leave a comment for me. This can help me to leave reminders on why something did or didn't work, or of course, the ideas that my brother can give...

One of which was that he pointed out that this site also will allow me to put in a recipe, and then it will figure out the nutritional value for the food I prepared per serving. Also, people can share those recipes, and they can be saved so if I make a particular dish, I can come back to it later on if I make it again.

In closing, all of the new ideas, changes in my lifestyles, and remembering to drink water and watch what I'm eating IS somewhat frustrating, but I DO appriciate everyone's support and encouragement!
And thanks be to God that I've kept up with technology!