Saturday, May 12, 2012

no, it's NOT about you. And yeah, I'm talking about YOU.

(Let me preface this by saying that if you read this and think that it is in no way about you, read it again. If you read this and it upsets you, then good, it made a point. If it makes you stop and take a breath and rethink a moment in your life, then great. If you're totally confused by it, don't call me to ask me about it - it won't do you any good)
**************************************
What a weekend, and it's only Saturday evening! Maybe I feel that way from the different receptions that I was invited to, which can be mind-numbing for me because I don't always like "crowds", especially when I don't know anyone, or only one or two people. Also, I attended the Commencement Exercises for one of the High Schools in my Parish. Again, I only knew a few people, and of course, they were there for their graduating Seniors, so again, I'll just be the nervous wall flower.
Actually, 3 of my Youth graduated from that school, and so it was nice to see them walk, as well as a young man who could have died from an injury sustained in a football game last fall, and his strength and faith, as well as the school's, community's, and OTHER schools', showed what fellowship, unity, and prayer could do. It was an awesome day there.

Another thing that might make this weekend a little mind-altering is my diet. Thinking about receptions I've been to, I'm thinking that I'm starving myself. I only eat one little sandwich, or or don't have a bun with the pulled pork, or I don't have cake at the 2nd and 3rd stop I go to... And then when I enter the information into the "My Fitness Pal" phone app or website, I see that I'm staying below my calories for the day, and I'm not really starving myself. But something is working - I'm fitting into my slacks better, and I'm feeling better and not huffing and puffing as much.

Recently, I receiving a phone call from a United Methodist District Lay Leader, asking me if I would accept a new Committee position. I had already been considering something of the sort, so it didn't take long for me to decide on the answer. Within the same time frame, I got a copy of a letter that will have to be read in my churches tomorrow.

Needless to say, the four or five days have been a whirlwind of excitement and tension in my head.

But through everything, it seems like I'm running into people who have a negative opinion on someone or something, and that's fine - people are entitled to their opinions. But why is it that when faced with options, possibilities, or facts, they'd deny anything they hear, based on the fact that it doesn't add up to a more juicy rumor to their story, or because there is jealousy in someones ability to do or not do something, or because they get caught with their foot in their mouth and don't know how to pull it out, and will try everything to deny that they said or did something, even when faced with the cold-hard facts?

All of this is to point out that in everything we do, it's not about us. It's about what God gives us. We are stewards of everything given to us on this earth.
So stop whining, moaning, complaining, griping, crying, gossiping, and lying when things aren't quite right. It's one thing to "vent", it's another thing to slander.

Get over it. Stop assuming. Move on. Let people live their lives. Go live your life.
Remember, as much dirt as you try to dig up on people, more can always be dug up on you.