What a day!
I got to do a nice road trip and lunch with a collegue and learned so much (Thanks again to "you know who you are"!).
And then this evening I got a ticket from a parishioner to attend the soup & pie supper at Pierce HS just befroe the football game there (for the record, both Pierce and Osmond have their home football games on the same nights, so I have to alternate which school I go and watch, even though I try to support both high schools in my Parish in some way).
Then I went down to the field and watched Pierce HS play Scotus Catholic HS. Now you have to remember, I'm the "new kid in town", and so I can only go by what people have told me, and what people have told me is that Pierce HS has a good football team every year. So I'm going with some expectations of watching a good competition.
What I end up seeing is some of the most immature behavior in a football game.
I arrived by the stands just in time to see a player from the other team not only get flagged for unsportsmanlike cinduct, but ejected from the game. What he did, we don't know, but of course, it must of been bad enough to warrent being told to go to the sidelines by the Officials.
But as the Officials are explaining to the coach why this happened, everyone can see as the SCHS coach becomes very "animated" with his anger - enough so that I was waiting to see another flag go flying in the air.
But finally, the game must go on, and as it did, things over on that sideline were getting worse enough to the point where warning flags were tossed and enough was enough.
And the "action" wasn't just on the other sideline - it was in the side of the pressbox as well where the opposing team's people can watch and call down or film the game.
At one point, an Official called a penalty on SCHS. Not a big deal - the kids on both sides were palying a great game, but things do happen. But when the penalty was announced, the guy in the box yelled loud enough so that it could be heard over the loudspeaker mic - "You've got to be kidding me".
In the Bible, we're taught to teach our children how to act (Proverbs 22:6 - Point your kids in the right directions...), but what does it mean when the adults cannot set the example?
...and some people wonder why some kids behave the way they do. Hmmm.