Saturday, September 10, 2011

Finding my restart button

I was once told that I needed a hobby. Then someone else said that to me. And then again, and again, and again.
I'm wondering if I should find a hobby.

A friend of mine writes in a way that can take words and make them paint pictures in your mind. I'm finding that inspiring,. Not that I'll be able to master how my friend writes - heck, I have to triple-check an email before sending it out, and I STILL find errors afterwards - but what if I put my thoughts to words a little more. Maybe something more than my Journal Blogs...

I heard of a style of writing where you take some truth and embellish it to make it more alive or to fit a story for whatever reason - sort of a semi - fiction / non fiction. I don't know what it's called, but it will probably come to me later. For now, let's just chalk it up to fatigue (it's late Saturday night).

I also found delight in traveling when I was going to and from my classes last month. When I drove a big-rig cross country, it was so much fun to see the sights, and to at least be able to say that I was somewhere (I've crossed the Mississippi River and watched Bald Eagles soar, or I saw a desert sunset, or the sun rise over a snow-topped mountain).

But as I think back to my years as a Pastor, I also think to how I've put a lot of time and energy into it, and yet have allowed myself to not take time for spiritual renewal like i really should.
I know I mentioned it before, but my new setting/appointment is great in "refreshing" my priorities, and it's allowing me to refocus what I am and who I am.
For example, starting in the morning, the Worship Services will start AFTER some people have prayed for me. Because really - I can I spiritually lead the people if I'm not filled spiritually myself? And why not get others involved? I can pray by myself all the time, but I found in my first Parish that to have someone pray over me is so much more powerful. (If you go to a church where your Pastor doesn't have someone do that for him or her, offer to do that, and watch how the Service can change - it's awesome!)

So, let's see what happens. Maybe my jokes of writing a book about my first years as a Pastor might become reality. Or maybe I'll start taking some time to go out and enjoy nature and see what kind of pictures I can post. Or maybe I'll learn to knit.

Who knows?