Friday, September 16, 2011

Me, Myself, and I ?????

I must be tired. I have been looking and looking for my hoodies, coats, and hats, and betting that they are in the boxes that haven't come to this house yet. It's somewhat disturbing, because in the basement are boxes and boxes of things that will do no one any good for keeping warm. Hmmm.

And now, I'm looking up and seeing that I left the door leading from the garage into the house open. Hmmm.

BUT, today I... um, yeah.
WAIT, I got the last of my papers sent in for SUM COS 2011 classes. Yeah, that's what I did, um, last night.

OK - truth be told, I actually had a good time with some other pastors today on a "retreat". (I put it in quotes because it was also a time of learning from a class that most of them had taken together - I'm sort of the "new kid in class").
But it was fun. We learn, we relaxed, we had some great fellowship, and what I valued most was the time to be with people that I have a common interest with but I could also "be myself".

As odd as that sounds, it can be an issue for some people. We all have different opinions, and that's what I find fantastic, but often times it's hard to chat about things because there is too much "shop talk" and not any "constructive fellowship".
For example - today I made a comment (in a wrong way). A fellow pastor caught the "mistake word" in my sentence and helped me to realize it in a caring, Christian way. Had some others done it, it could have turned into a "ok, here's where you went wrong, step one, etc etc etc...." (So thanks to the person with the frog pen!!! See you at Bible Study!)

Being open and caring with people in a way that we can relate to can be helpful. Trying to trump someone because you think you know more then they do will only get you in a hole.

Christ teaches us to love one another. Loving involves caring, helping, aiding, assisting. It doesn't mean nagging, backstabbing, cutting-down, or "One-uping".

Let's be real with people and care about each other. It's amazing how much can be done if we just help everyone.