Friday, March 23, 2012

If you want drama, take up acting

A few weeks ago, I was watching a great movie as part of a training that I was attending. During part of the movie, there was some cussing in the story line. When that part came up, I heard someone say "this is why I can't go to movies anymore. It's just too horrible"
Look around - it's life. Ever hear the joke of "what does a preacher say when he slams his thumb with a hammer?" I'll tell it to you sometime.

A couple of weeks ago, my brother wrote about "drama", or how people need to stop the drama. In his post, he also talked about how easily other people will get caught up in it. He then told me later on about how he put a "no drama" sign in his work area, to which he received a compliment from one of his department heads.
Later, a supervisor took down the "no drama" sign, stating that "it created too much drama"
(excuse me while I try to get my head to stop spinning)

While I was eating supper last night at a nearby diner, there was a family who had a little girl who, as one comedian would put it, "wasn't getting enough attention". The parent was doing what he/she could  to control the kid, but no matter what they tried, the kid would get the upper hand. I could tell that the parent was within seconds of taking the kid outside for a "coming to Jesus moment", but all things ended out well.
Meanwhile, at the table next to mine, there was a couple sitting there, complaining to one another about every little thing, such as "it took too long to get their drinks to them" (it was MAYBE 2 minutes), they "didn't get their complete order" (duh, the waitress TOLD you that they messed up part of your order, so you got what they had ready, and they were finishing what you wanted, AND THEN SOME to make up for the problem), because the kid was crying, "there should be a restaurant that serves to only adults" (yeah, it called a Bar or Tavern).

What made things even worse was that I wasn't trying to eavesdrop... this couple had no issues with whining and complaining. Even when ordering their dinner, they couldn't understand why the cook or waitress couldn't take part of the lady's order and put it on the man's plate, and then take part of the man's dinner and put it on the lady's plate.
Maybe they should have a "here's your sign" spot to pick up your sign so the wait staff will know that you're going to be a "special" customer.

Granted, I've been at places where the food isn't quite right, or the wrong order is brought out to me, but I've also found that when I am polite to the wait staff, then polite is what I get. If not, there are other avenues to go along if you're really that displeased.

But maybe this couple's favorite waitress wasn't working that day. Maybe the unusual high temps were affecting their brain. Maybe they were "perfect children" and never never ever got out of line in public.
Maybe they need a waitress or waiter to accidentally drop cold water in their lap.

When people want to start drama for whatever reason, it doesn't make them look pretty. The drama doesn't make the person any better. The drama doesn't get your point across.
The drama makes them look like a horse's butt.

Everyone has their own way of living their life, and if they want to be an a$$ about it, so be it. But instead of using your "perfect life" to make things harder, why not remember your imperfect life (Romans 3:23) and give some understanding, caring, or assistance to people. If they want it, great. If not, then God bless them and may they move along.

Now, if you think that none of this applies to you, then you're sadly mistaken. We've all, somehow or someway, done the drama thing, or got caught up in it.
If you think that this is about you, then maybe you need to examine your life and try to figure out why you think it's about you.

So if your house isn't perfect, then be thankful you have a roof over your head. Remember, you picked the place.
If your car isn't what you want, then try walking everywhere. Let me know how that car suits you then.

If you are having a bad day, then go have a bad day, and understand that I will not have a bad day because of it. Likewise, if I'm having a bad day, then I'm having a bad day, just as you would. So let me stew and grumble and don't whine about it. It could be quite embarrassing to you...

Here's an example to contemplate ... I once went into a fast-food place to order some lunch. The gal taking my order did an ok job (she got my food to me, she took my money and gave me my change, etc), except there was no "service with a smile". When the transaction was complete, she asked me if there would be anything else, and I jokingly replied (with a smile as well) "yes, have a nice day".
To that, I can still feel the foot in my mouth when she apologized, because the staff had just found out that a coworker was killed in an accident.
Ouch. No, I AM SORRY.  A big flub that still haunts me to this day.

If you want drama, take up acting.