My vacation is over. I'm back to work. Or actually, I was "back to work" yesterday as people were calling me right after I got home and I was silly enough to answer the phone. But it wasn't really that bad.
I had a great time on my vacation. The key event, my folks' 50th anniversary, went great. My brother, Chris, gets all the credit for doing all the work, and some people at my mom & dad's church (Grace UCC, Lancaster OH) helped out a lot! If there HAD to be a problem, it was that as the pictures were taken of my parents and siblings and me (together in one place since 1998), it had started raining a bit outside, so the picture has the "lovely" backdrop of a stack of chairs.
But hey, if that's the worst, then we can live with it.
Also, I was able to go to German Village in Columbus OH to pick up some Bahama Mamas at Schmidt's. Now, before you think of an alcoholic drink of the same name, you're no where close, unless you consider what the after-affects could be.
A Bahama Mama is a type of spicy sausage. One is usually enough to eat, two and you need to have the antacid ready, anything more than that and you're probably nuts.
The funny thing is that years ago, I really didn't like them that much... too spicy for me. Now, in my old age and sometimes eating Tums like candy, I'm buying a bulk of these huge, great sausages!
One thing I didn't get to was one of the local pizza shops. There is something about a pizza in Ohio that is different than I can get elsewhere.
Yes, maybe it's the memories, but until you've had one from somewhere there, it's hard to describe.
But one thing I was able to get was supper at the Machine Shed Restaurant in Des Moines on my way home. This place was my favorite when I lived in the Quad Cities area of eastern Iowa, and it has a couple more locations around the Midwest. It's one of those places that "if you walk away hungry, it's your own fault".
But now I'm home, catching up on a couple of things, getting ready for Palm Sunday, Holy Week, and Easter, and prepping for the Nebraska Legislative Chaplain next week.
Maybe I'm ready for another vacation???