Thursday, March 22, 2012

I'm on vacation!


Some time ago, I learned that you have to be prepared for any circumstance, even if it seems minor. Maybe that's why I'm as "Type A" as I am.

While driving on vacation for my parents' 50th anniversary, I noticed a sound that hinted me to "I need new brake pads". And lucky me, I'm staying at a hotel that has a good repair shop within short walking distance. So this can't be so bad, can it?

Yeah, it can.

A simple inspection found a problem with one of my brakes. A simple stuck slider (or something like that) caused a pad to wear out, as well as wearing down my rotor to the point of needing to be replaced. Well swell!

But thank goodness I have the money set aside. Oh wait, I FORGOT to bring it all with me!
So thank goodness that I could contact Paulette who was able to swap some of her money into a joint account that we have, and then I'll be able to pay her back when I return and do all of the "money ins and outs" after vacation.

Fortunately, all of this happened now, as opposed to me driving down the road, the brake rotor heating up excessively and cracking, which could cause the wheel to lock up. I seen it happen years ago, and from what I know (which isn't always a lot), it's a rare occurrence, but if anything could go wrong, it would - "Murphy's Law" is bound to kick in, and it did now.
But if the worst-case scenario happened, it would be really bad.

But, the repair shop just called me, and they already have my truck done.
Now I get to go pay the bill. Ugh.

But, if things got worse while I was driving, it would cost a lot more, and with my luck, it usually never happens when I am close to anywhere.

So I'm just going to keep repeating "I'm on vacation!"
Because nothing is going to stand in the way of the great celebration of 50 years for my folks!